Monday, May 19, 2008

Too tired to title

I've been told that it's exhausting just to know me. Let me tell you, it's exhausting to BE me. If you haven't figured it out yet, I am a High Strung, Obsessive Compulsive, Procrastinating Over-Planner.

My general pattern in living life goes something like this:

Get organized!
Feel good!
La-la-la, life is wonderful!
Paperwork slowly building up.
House becoming wrecked.
Psyche wrecked.
So behind, can't catch up!
Cry.
Stay in bed.
Waaaaaahhhh.
FREAK OUT.
Reorganize and repeat.

Traditionally, I have about four MAJOR freakouts a year. However, since having Delaney last August? I AM LIVING IN A PERPETUAL STATE OF FREAKOUT. I feel like I'm spinning. Literally. Sometimes I actually get dizzy in my kitchen just from turning from one counter to another trying to figure out what the HELL to do FIRST.

Right this moment, my head is spinning trying to figure out what to WRITE first. Maybe just pouring out whatever random craziness happens to pop into my head will help me clear my mental slate. Because when I'm feeling overwhelmed, overtired, and overplanned, A LIST IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER.

1. My baby brother graduated from high school tonight (with honors, I'm so PROUD of him). While there, I ran into a girlfriend I graduated with who has a son starting HIGH SCHOOL next year. I AM OLD.

2. New Kids On The Block are back on tour OMG I LOVE YOU JOEY *squeeeeeal*! That will require a separate entry later, with outrageously embarrassing photos of 13 year old me. And after I attend the show on November 11 in Kansas City, there will be outrageously embarrassing photos of 32 year old me.

3. Garrett graduated from preschool tonight and received the award for Best Reader! Though I would have just totally wet my pants had it been an award for Best User of Scissors.

4. Did someone say SCISSORS? Because Garrett used a pair of SCISSORS to cut a hole in the playpen WHILE Delaney was IN IT. Fear not - no babies were harmed (though a five year old might have been, GAH).

5. I am suffering extreme guilt over Delaney's Third Child Syndrome - am terrible mother. This is a GIANT CAN OF WORMS, to be opened later. Hopefully in a post this week, so that you all can pat me and make me feel better.

6. My stomach fat is really pissing me off. Girdle-ish undergarments no longer successful, only painful. Appear to be stuffed sausage.

7. Gas and grocery prices have robbed me of a trip to see Walking With Dinosaurs Live with my family (to the tune of $240 just for the TICKETS, nevermind the meals and gas for a 400 mile round trip).

8. I am tired of email forwards about the evils of Barack Obama. I LIKE HIM. I VOTED FOR HIM IN THE PRIMARIES. I AM A DEMOCRAT, HEAR ME ROAR. I've started actually replying to people who send me these lame-ass forwards by sending them the link to Snopes.com that refutes their blindly-forwarded-chain mail. BAH.

9. I finally beat the Not-Pneumonia-But-Felt-Like-It, only to come down with Garrett's stomach flu and spend four days in the bathroom. Must weigh tonight and see if I at least lost a few pounds.

10. I understand that there is NO WAY you can even begin to comment on this ridiculous excuse for a post - SO...in preparation for my post about parenting a third child, do this for me:

Tell me one of your worst parenting moments. You know, like the time you forgot to feed your kid lunch, or something. That way, I won't look quite so bad when I confess all of MY latest parenting sins. GO!

15 comments:

debi said...

First of all let me say LOVE THIS POST.I totally get you. Hmm, why is that?I know, I keep getting thew same Barack Obama is a Muslim shit too. Do people not read or watch any news? Okay, my worst parenting moment came to mind instantly. And wouldn't ya know it, it was with baby # 3. First off let me say that this was in 1982 and nobody really used or even had car seats then.(scarey) Got the 2 older kids (3 and 6 yrs old) dressed and ready to go. Got newborn baby Joey all bundled up and put him on the couch. Loaded up the gang and pulled out of the driveway with our nosey neighbor watching as always.Little Billy (3) was riding on my lap as usual. (I know, makes you sick huh?)Something was wrong. Oh Shit, I know what it is, I should be holding the new baby but he is not in the van cuz we drove off and left him on the couch.She never said anything but I know my neighbor saw us throw the van into reverse and watched me scramble through the front door with no baby and then come out with one. I think the worst part of this story is that we had no car seats.Just the thought of my babies riding around with no restraints makes me cringe.

Patiently waiting said...

Wow, I can totally relate to your cycle you go through and I only have two kids! Hang in there it has to get better right?

SJINCO said...

I too can relate to your 'wash/rinse/repeat' cycle. I do it too and I only have TWO kids. Motherhood is tough business. No ifs and or butts about it.

My worst parenting mishap was when I drove probably about 10 miles with my baby newborn in the backseat - in his carset - but NOT buckled in. Oh yes. I about died when I went to unbuckle him and hrmmm he wasn't buckled.

I still can't believe I did that.

Try and have yourself a good week :)

Anonymous said...

Take a deep breath. Sounds like you are having waaaaay too much fun. :)

Lost A Sock said...

Every time I see you updated in my feed reader, I always click you first. I do so get where you're coming from. I just don't have the third child guilt yet. Give me a couple months.

I can't begin to search my brain for my worst parenting moment, as exhaustion has taken over. I can only tell you that as I read the first half of your entry, the boys were in the back yard unsupervised, there was $243 in groceries in bags melting on my kitchen counters and a renter waiting hours past when I said I'd return her call. Even the notification that Jack was chasing KJ with a plastic baseball bat wasn't going to pull me away from my five minute break.

...It was the second notification that, "MO-OOOM, now he's trying to hit me with TWO bats." Two and a half hours later, I'm back to comment.

See? All better.

Do tell about the guilt.

Shannon said...

Ok, my worst parenting moment is when I had left my parents house one night, it was late and I always had my purse in the passenger seat and then I would walk around the car and get my purse out and then Brady from his carseat in the back. I locked him in the car. (for some stupid reason we didn't have another key)(don't ask, it was like 13 yrs ago, and I was a little stupid then LOL) I called the police and they wouldn't come out to unlock my door. I had to call a locksmith and pay him $40. The next week I did the exact same thing in Joplin, MO. I was at Toys R' Us and a lady saw me and called the police and they came right out and unlocked it.

I am sure I can think of plenty more....

Anonymous said...

Stacey,

Since I am a teacher with an unbounded love for children I was making parenting mistakes with my oldest neice long before Maegan came along.
My worst moment was when I placed my neice on the dining room table in her car seat and she rolled out onto the floor and hit her head ( it was her mothers fault for not telling me she could roll over, really it was!). How did it turn out? It took me two years to admit to my sister what I had done and these are the opening lines to her graduation poem that I am in the middle of composing:

You hit the floor and your brais shifted that is how you got the label of gifted!

Who Knew!

Carey

Emma in Canada said...

Well, my worst parenting moment is far worse than any of the others and probably should have had me lose my daughter to Social Services.

If I lived in the States I totally would be voting for Obama, I love that man.

i totally get the permanent state of freakout. It's been a few years now, but I think once the fourth goes to school it will start to go away.

Erica said...

Well, being we are friends and all, there is no need to tell you all about my worst parenting moments.
As for Obama, no comment.
You will start to feel normal again in a year or so, and then it will start all over once Garrett and Laura are in school and Delaney is in preschool and you can't even remember that you need toilet paper cause you are running around like the proverbial chicken. Deep breaths....

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Moment. As in singular? Cuz, I could probably fill up an entire long ass post with bad parenting moments.

Most recently, my 2 year old had cheetos for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

I prefer Hillary, but I also reply to those stupid Obama wouldn't swear in on the bible or wear a flag pin forwards. I ignore a lot of annoying forwards, but I just can't let those go.
As far as bad parenting moments go, I haven't had much time to have too many, but I'm making a valiant effort nonetheless. I've done the whole not buckling the car seat into the car thing SEVERAL times now. In my defense, we have the contraption that the car seat snaps into in one car and not the other, so I'm somehow confused by having to use the seatbelt. DUH! And at least once every weekend, Brian and I get to whatever random destination and then realize that it's time for baby to eat and we haven't brought food/bottle. So, we go right back home because we're STUPID.

Anonymous said...

Worst moment? Hmmm... that's a toughie. You pick one. Here are your choices.
A. The time I drove home from your house in the snow with nb Eve in her carseat without the belt buckled.
B. Last week I heard a strange noise coming from the hall and looked to find Eve had climbed into the dryer while I was sitting on my fat ass watching Keeping Up with the Kardashians.
C. Poostravaganza 2008-A. The one at Toys R Us. You know this one, Stace. Remember, mommies, wet wipes FREEEEEEZE!
Let me know the results!

Steph said...

This one time? I hit my kid in the head. With the car door.

Do you know that heads bleed A LOT even when the cut is very minor? They do.

Laurie said...

Ummm...I broke Matthew's leg in the entrance doors at Sears when he was just over 2yrs old...and didn't realize it until *hours* later. Does that count?? Or the time I lost Jade in Walmart...and didn't even know it? (http://learninglifethroughunschooling.blogspot.com/2008/04/it-all-started-innocently-enough-at.html)
Or the time I left her in the car, sleeping?

Anonymous said...

I don't have any bad moments. I am a perfect mother...you know that! Oh, and anything that others would think are bad moments are, of course, in some way, NOT MY FAULT! It does get better, I promise.