After Garrett was born, I continued to sweat the small stuff, as new mothers are entitled to do. Going out alone with a baby took me well over a month, I read stacks of board books to Garrett every day, I heeded each word of my pediatrician's advice at our carefully scheduled well-baby checks, and I even told the TRUTH to my pediatrician regarding every parenting choice we were making with our newborn.
I tried SO hard to do everything "right", and look where it got me...it got me a five year old who has cut up damn near everything in my house, and colored all over the rest.
Then Laura came along nineteen months after Garrett, and all I can say about that is that I vaguely remember that she was once an infant. I seem to remember lots of crying, explosive poops, and that the baby swing was my best friend for about seven months. There is even photographic evidence to prove that we apparently adored the little screamer!
Ah. And then there is the surprise third baby. Poor Delaney - she was doomed from the very start. I learned of my pregnancy with her in the Wal-Mart bathroom (appropriate, yes?), just a week after partying it up at a Dixie Chicks concert (whoopsie!). I drank unlimited amounts of caffeine (which supposedly affects a newborn's head size, but that child has the biggest, roundest, most GIANT head of all my three children - hello, C-section!).
Everything I said I wouldn't do when Garrett and Laura were babies? I have now done. I officially lost my Mother Of The Year title when Delaney came along. Having lost all control with my toddlers years ago, I was sure that this third baby was my chance for Motherhood Redemption. That has not been the case.
Here are my confessions, in no particular order. Some of these things I actually feel a lot of guilt about. Others? I just call it getting by.
1. Have put her in the car with the straps unbuckled. Numerous times.
2. Gave up breastfeeding by four months.
3. She has only slept in her crib six times. The rest of the time?
4. I plop her in the carseat (a few months ago, the swing) and prop up a bottle when I'm ready for her to take a nap.
5. I've taken her to church in pajamas.
6. I often forget to feed her - not bottles, but FOOD. Garrett was getting three meals a day at this age, with a Gerber Hawaiian Delight for dessert at dinnertime. But - in case you're concerned - PROOF that she is NOT starving:
7. The vitamin drops that Garrett and Laura took religiously from 6 months on? Delaney has taken them four times - because I forget everyday, even though they are strategically placed where I SHOULD remember.
8. I accidentally let her get sunburned at Laura's preschool picnic.
9. I did NOT encourage her to crawl (though she finally figured it out this week anyway, DAMMIT - mobile children = trouble). Garrett was WALKING by this age.
10. I've never brushed her gums (as she has no teeth yet) with the little baby finger toothbrush, the way I did with Garrett and Laura.
11. I let her play with plastic Wal-Mart bags. You know, the ones with the big "KEEP AWAY FROM BABIES" printed on the side? I SUPERVISE her.
12. I locked her in the car at a gas station to go in and get a coffee. IT WAS A GAS STATION IN A VERY SMALL TOWN, YES I'VE HEARD ALL THE TERRIBLE STORIES ABOUT CAR JACKERS, NOBODY ELSE WAS THERE, SHE WAS SLEEPING, I COULD SEE HER FROM THE WINDOW, AND IT WAS A COOL DAY. Please do not have me arrested. I just needed some caffeine. Let's just pretend you didn't read this one.
13. Her bathing schedule? Leaves a lot to be desired. But then again, so does mine most days. That, my friends, is what baby wipes and lotion are for.
14. Back when she used a pacifier, I just stuck it in my mouth to clean it instead of washing it.
15. I let her tear up Seth's old Popular Science magazines while I brush my teeth and fix my hair in the morning.
16. When I forget to feed her meals, I just put some scoops of baby cereal in her bottle to even things out.
17. I have forgotten to read books to her for the last ten months. Now she'll NEVER get into college. Poor baby has learned she must just do it her damn self since Mama won't:
18. I had pictures done at Penney's every month until Garrett and Laura were one ($3.99 a sheet!) and put them in a special frame. Of course I had to do the same with Delaney - however, we'll just pretend that she was NOT ten months old in her nine month photo. Um, I got a little behind this month.
19. I forgot to schedule her 9-month well-baby checkup.
20. I showed up for her 6-month checkup, with all three children in tow, at NINE THIRTY in the morning, only to find that the appointment was scheduled THE DAY BEFORE.
21. I consistently lie to my pediatrician ("Of COURSE she sleeps in her crib every night!"), and I nod my head sweetly at his suggestions - right before I go home and do the opposite.
22. This morning, I woke up to the sound of her sucking on a dry bottle - she had finished off the bottle that she fell asleep eating LAST NIGHT. Ugh.
23. We fed her cake and ice cream when she was six months old, and Seth lets her gum on his pizza when we order out, which I believe is EXACTLY what has made her such an extremely happy, relaxed, and forgiving baby:
Whew. That's not a comprehensive list, I'm certain, but I'M WORN OUT. Excuse me while I go back to NEGLECTING MY CHILDREN.
Now YOU go and FORGET EVERYTHING I JUST TOLD YOU. Here, look at last weekend's wedding cakes, instead...
(Please note that the GINORMOUS flower arrangement on top was not my idea)
Those are horseshoes, done for a wedding in a barn (for those of you who don't live out in the country!)
16 comments:
It is entirely possible that I have done 1 or 2 or all of those things myself. I think when you have 3, you are entitled. The last time Alyssa had professional pics made? December 2006. Before that it was January 2006.
O.M.G. This made me laugh OUTLOUD. Girlfriend, you are entirely too hard on yourself. You are a REAL mom. As long as your kids are alive and you are not beating them? THe rest is gravy.
ANd those cakes? are awesome!
Oh Stacey... FIRST, your cakes are soo friggen awesome! I LOVE the horseshoe one!Almost as much at the bachorlette party one! Next, in no particular order, and a 'little' bit different scenario, I have to confess to #'s 1, 2 (only I never even tried it), 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14,16, 17, 22 and FINALLY 23! I am also not a horrible mom... just a busy, tired, confused, frustrated, loving mother of 2 kids... I could NOT imagine life with 3 or Lord help me 4 or more. Kids are beautiful things, but lets just be honest. :)
Anyways, Love you girl! Get your ass back here more often. You are missed.
Lucy
Stacey,
The cakes are gorgeous ( The horse shoe one is my favoorite). Is there anything you can't do?
Carey
Hmm, I've done several of those things on your list of confessions. It's okay, you are a MOM, to THREE kids.
And the cakes are awesome. I love them both (minus the flower arrangement that you were not responsible for).
Ooooh maxi pads are great entertainment too, while trying to brush your teeth. I have done all of the above, and am still doing some of it. Like today for example: Bribed Ben with donuts if he would just get in the damn car already! She looks pretty happy to me. I just want to squish those cheeks.
Is it not almost hilarious, the things we do as "experienced" mothers that we swore we'd NEVER or ALWAYS do as new moms?
You're doing fine, and the kids are too. I'm the oldest of four. I'm sure my mom had many of the moments you're having, and I turned out fine. One of her favorite lines was, "Go clean your room before I set it on fire." See? Not even a day of therapy over it. (Though fire extinguishers every four feet in my house, haha. J/K)
Am I supposed to be laughing? Because I'm not. I could tell you ALL this AND MORE because, you know, I have three kids...plus one. I don't even throw baby cereal in the bottle when I forget to feed #4!! Just imagine what you'd NOT be doing if you had another one!!! SERIOUSLY.
Oh....AND I don't even make totally awesome cakes. ;) And my kids professional pictures? Ummmm...M's 1st Cmas, 2nd Cmas and one of M & J at...yeah, Cmas. That was IT for professional pictures. Hmmm...So at least you're doing better than me there!
I have a blog entry coming with JUST YOUR NAME ON IT. It's still in the works though. Maybe tomorrow.
I love that you're so honest. :) You just hang right in there, girl, because we've all done those things. Your sweet little Delaney is beautiful and she looks darn happy. You're doing something right!
STAAACEYYYY!!!!I thought I might have to raise Garrett, but maybe Delaney needs to be rescued!! just kidding! I pinned you to the diaper once, love, nana
Delaney is SO cute with her sweet rosey cheeks! You're hilarious. I had to call my husband in to read this with me so we could enjoy it together! Big mistake on my part though, now he's upset that finn hasn't had pizza. But, even though I'm one of those naive first time moms - I still relate. I've never taken finn for professional pics (he's almost 8 months). He still sleeps in the swing EVERY night - but I've JUST started moving him into the crib after he falls asleep ONLY BECAUSE he's such a little fatty foo foo that I'm afraid that the swing is going to give out on him any day now. I've never brushed gums or given vitamins - in fact, I didn't even know that was something to do. I think the lesson this post has taught me is that 1. you are a really great mom, and 2. if I make it to child #3, I just might be giving him/her cigarettes and matches to play with while I'm showering in the morning.
My third out me over the edge too! And we are crazy enough to be adopting a fourth! I have done many of those things - especailly the forgetting to feed one. I have a 1 yr old, a 4 1/2 yr old and a 7 yr old. Sometimes I am so busy with the older ones that I forget to feed the baby. Also, he is so good and so calm about everything. Obviously is he was screaming then I would remember to feed him! He is far from starving too! Ohand he hasn't had any vitamins yet, haven't even filled the prescription. Isn't that what fortified pop-tarts are for! Thanks for a laugh!
Well, after reading your mum's comment I think you can totally blame all these little things on her. You are just dealing with the trauma of having been pinned to a nappy.
Oh, and I've done most of these things. In fact, tonight when I asked my 3 year old what she would like for dinner, she said "But you still haven't made me breakfast!" Yes, I am a good mother. Oh, and baby #4? Had her pictures done at 2 months, and never again. She will be 2 in August.
Loved that!
Been there and done all that by the time the (poor) third child came along.
The cakes look great too!!
Yes-I am fully aware that you posted this almost two months ago but I am WAY behind on my reader.
Is Delaney sleeping in the carseat IN the bassinet?? Because THAT is DAMN FUNNY.
Post a Comment