Monday, April 21, 2008

I can't WAIT to give him a big fat kiss in front of his junior high buddies

Dear friends, just 5 short years ago, I looked like this (well, I MOSTLY looked like this - who WOULDN'T do a little photo-shopping on their double chin if they could?):


When that photo was taken, Garrett was eighteen months old and I was blissfully pregnant with Laura. I think he might have had four or five time-outs in his young life. He was just beginning his future career in DESTRUCT AND DESTROY.
Ah, fresh, new motherhood.
Also, I was still teaching full-time, so I was still required to make myself presentable on a daily basis, and I also had a restful, lovely TEN HOUR break from my one child EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. (Well, at least it was a lovely break in HINDSIGHT - at the time, I was crying every night because I couldn't stay home with my babies).
But now, as you well know, I have been a stay at home mom for a full two years now. In those two years, I have been given a prescription for anxiety problems and panic attacks, gained ten (oh, fine, TWENTY) pounds, and I only wear pants with a button on special occasions.
I have given birth to and nursed a new baby, potty trained two toddlers, and spent approximately 1,642,441 hours driving little people to sports practices, preschool, birthday parties, and doctor appointments.
I have screamed, yelled, cried, spanked, scolded, wept, moaned, and nearly SCRATCHED MY EYES OUT while attempting to raise three small children.
Therefore, is it any surprise that I CURRENTLY look like THIS?

And the really telling part of that photo? I didn't even KNOW it was taken. And yes, I know, I'm even looking into the camera! But I'm not really there! I'm half-dead, sleeping with my eyes open. I plugged my digital camera card into the computer last week to upload some photos and found about twenty-five pictures that I DID NOT TAKE.
So who did?
Along with the frightening picture of me, there were assorted pictures of toys, people's feet, and the top of Delaney's head.
And while we're on the subject of Garrett, let's just have a little review of just HOW I got those black circles under my eyes. HE DID THIS TO ME.
We'll begin in mid-2005, at age 3. Toilet paper fiasco 1/214.
Then the fascination with markers begins.
These colored-marking thingys are FABULOUS - why didn't we know of them earlier, mother? THIS IS WHY:
Toilet paper fiasco 35/214 (pretty certain I have spent an entire year's salary in TOILET PAPER):
The train table he received from Christmas that year, totally disassembled and rearranged so creatively into a pretend car:
The Fish Who Lived - Flipper the Incredible...fish bowl, spoon, and chair pushed up to the counter = one naughty little boy and one betta fish flipping around on my kitchen floor:
Spring of 2007 brought THE CUTTING UP OF MY WINDOW SCREENS:
And August of 2007 brought the most dramatic marker incident to date. Say hello to my two-week old couch:
Garrett was really on a roll in the fall of 2007 - cutting off his 3 year old sister's hair,
burning up sections of the basement carpeting,
and building what I like to call "The Bridge Over VERY TROUBLED WATER".
Then there was my entire basement covered with a blue-marker soccer field,
and shortly after, blue decor for the kitchen linoleum too (note to self - find better hiding places for markers):
And the newest creation? Acrylic paints on my deck posts.

I seriously don't even know what to say. I'm done. SEND HELP.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, you are GORGEOUS!! You were beautiful then and you're still beautiful. You show me ONE parent who has been through all you have the last several years and that DOESN'T look tired and beat down and well...never mind. The bitch probably has a full-time nanny to deal with everything.

I honeslty don't know how you do it all. I have ONE child (she's two) and there are days I want to run far, far away. And really? Those days usually contain nothing more than a normal happy, content toddler that has a whiney streak for a few hours. If she put me through even 1/4 of what you've been through, I'd have skipped town with nothing buy my debit card and a bottle of rum months ago.

I know I'm the last person to offer advice, but really...hang in there. You're a fantastic wife and mother and you do the best you can. That's all anyone can ask of you.

Wish I was closer and could offer to help :(

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Come down and visit Memphis for a few days. We'll keep you drunk and that's always good help.

Lynanne said...

Hey, you have make-up on - score one for you! That's more than I manage most days. :)

Seriously though, I feel for you, I really do. As for the deck - I think that's one you should leave as is. Another mom once told me that she missed all the artwork she cleaned up once her children were grown and gone.

Or maybe she just missed having the evidence to use for blackmail?

Jean 2 said...

NANNY 911!
Oh my-just seeing all of his little um...instances and the evidence in one blog is more than I could personally handle. Yet I laugh! I just can't help it. That is what makes you a talented writer!! ;)
I would personally just want to leave...but since that cannot be a solution...GIRLS NIGHT OUT!!!???!!

Anonymous said...

I think you are brilliant to take pictures of all the evidence. I wish I had done that. I think I mentioned this before, but my son just turned 6 and my daughter is almost 4. I took one year off from teaching when my daughter was born and the two of them (my son, if you must know) drove me straight back to work. And boy was I glad! I do miss the time with them but having the break is a necessity for me. You are doing a wonderful job. Just take it one day at a time, and his junior high years will be here soon. Ah, sweet revenge.

SJINCO said...

Oh you....you poor thing. Come visit me in Colorado - we'll have fun!

And really, is this what I have to look forward to with my youngest!?

Patiently waiting said...

Whoa! I say you have a budding artist on your hands! And you're still beautiful by the way. Hang in there, it has to get better right? :-)

Anonymous said...

You have a 3D scrap book. Just take a sharpie and date his art work and enjoy them in years to come. These times will be gone all too quickly.

You look great in your pictures. I question any mother that looks fabulous all of the time. They obviously have not been with the kids all day.

Maegan is ready for another play date anytime.

Carey

~M~ said...

I love all of your stories...I followed your other blog for a while. Since you're well-versed in motherhood...please check out my new blog...www.whattoexpectwhenurplanningtoexpect.blogspot.com . I know that's a crazy mouthful. Anyway, my husband and I are planning to start our family before too long...and I'm searching for real advice and suggestions from real mothers out there...relating to financial preparation, things we need and don't need, and just plain old advice. Please go to town...any info would be greatly appreciated! And, by all means...pass it along to your other mommy-friends...I'm up for all the advice I can get. Thanks!

~M~ said...

I love all of your stories...I followed your other blog for a while. Since you're well-versed in motherhood...please check out my new blog...www.whattoexpectwhenurplanningtoexpect.blogspot.com . I know that's a crazy mouthful. Anyway, my husband and I are planning to start our family before too long...and I'm searching for real advice and suggestions from real mothers out there...relating to financial preparation, things we need and don't need, and just plain old advice. Please go to town...any info would be greatly appreciated! And, by all means...pass it along to your other mommy-friends...I'm up for all the advice I can get. Thanks!

Erica said...

Gah! Did that happen while we were on the phone today? I can't help it, but I too laughed, and thought you probably thought it was sooooooo cute when he created 1/214 toilet paper incident, but now, not so much. Hey I'm not at home and don't have a baby, but I still have bags under my eyes and look totally wrung out. I thought you looked pretty damn good. Also, maybe Garrett needs a digital camera to keep him occupied. He looks like he might have skills.
Have fun tomorrow night!

Erica said...

Ok, that sounded pretty crappy of me. You look better than I do, and I don't have a baby baby. Just a four year old who hasn't figured out that sleeping in one's own bed is a friggin great time! I have the bags under my eyes, you do not my dear. ok, I am going to just shut up now.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I actually think the deck artwork is rather lovely. Sortof hippie-ish! Have him do the entire staircase...you'll be the envy of your subdivision!

Anonymous said...

Photographs, markers, AND acrylic? I think you definitely have a little artist. Especially the way you describe him being all orderly (like with the halloween candy). And with the burning carpet - he is clearly a child prodigy because I can't imagine a more original medium to work with! Fire is so expressive, after all. And the train he disassembled? An amazing sculpture! And the toilet paper? I'm pretty sure that's performance art - or maybe installation art. Either way, I wish you were in TX, there is a really cool summer art camp for kids at my work where Garrett could totally explore his artistic genius.

Emma in Canada said...

I have just seen my future. My youngest is just like Garrett. I recently posted pictures of how she stamped all over herself. Today she drew all over her dad's application for an extended work visa. Yesterday she coloured my walls and lino purple. Crap. Must take anything that writes away.

SPONGEMOM SWEATPANTS (formerly Crazy Mama!) said...

Tanya, how 'bout I just send him your way for two weeks this summer? He could teach Finn all the finer points of being a boy. How about it? :)

debi said...

After reading these comments I figured it out. The performance art comments and fire.Garrett needs to save his pennies and in a few years he can attend Burning Man! It's perfect. They create art and on the last night it all goes up in flames. He's gonna be a star.I too think the artwork on the stair is a keeper.

Anonymous said...

You are beautiful. Really, you are.You'll catch up on your sleep, one day, and Garrett will grow out of the "destroy" phase. It's a boy thing. :) (I know that doesn't help. Sorry.)

3XMom said...

honestly, I am not sure how we allow little boys to survive. After my two angel (well, in comparison) girls, my son will be the death of me. And he is only 21 months!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who'd be in more trouble if Garrett came for a visit! We don't have any carpet, and mostly no screens on the windows - so that's a bonus. But we have a whole lot of paint and scissors. And Brian and I have ZERO child experience outside of a mostly immobile 6 month old. I'm pretty sure we'd lose a mobile child in about 2 seconds flat. "Wait a minute, didn't we leave him right here?"

Lost A Sock said...

Ohhhhh my...

I have to say, I think the deckpost looks pretty good. He even put the colors in order, haha.

That kiddo sure has taken you for a ride over the years, hasn't he? I loved seeing all of the crafty pictures again.

I recently made a solid rule at our house that markers/crayons are for at the table, when I am there ONLY, enforced by...I don't remember what I threatened. I keep them all in a container on a shelf until they ask to color. (So much for allowing their creative geniouses to flourish, I know.) This new law brought to you by Jack, who happily took a yellow crayon to my new brown (of course, because he had to figure out what would show up BEST) family room furniture.

Anonymous said...

Well, well, so I'm not the only one who thinks that G is genius, and that all the "artwork" is wonderful!!! He's going to be famous, I just know it!!

Beautiful birthday post on L, almost made me cry. I told her last time I saw her that she just gets prettier and prettier each time I see her. Gonna be a knockout.

Love, Nana

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, and can you photoshop my double chin off too, permanently?? You are a very beautiful woman honey! In every way! love, mom

Laurie said...

Here it is....are you ready??? That kid needs a creative outlet. GET THAT CHILD INTO AN ART CLASS!!! Check your local cultural arts center (they should have something!). And I'm not talking about preschool "let's color this picture that looks like this". Somewhere he can have real freedom to do whatever he wants artfully. And if you can't find that class, set up an area outside for him. He's trying really hard to express himself and is tired of paper. What about canvas? You can get them pretty cheap at Michaels...and flat canvas less than $1 online. What about clay? He might love sculpture. I know he's young but he's showing a huge interest - find someway to encourage it (in the right places). :)

Kim said...

I have to admit as a mom of three boys ages 7,4, and 1, that I read thru the pictures and smiled. That was until I got to the cut out screens. I gasped - out loud! Oh My! My boys have done most of the other things - I am surprised our beta fish has remained in the bowl for so long thought! Love your blog!