Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ahhh. I just love the smell of FRESH DESTRUCTION in the morning.

WHEN WILL IT END, I ASK YOU?

You know how animals "mark" their territory, right? Well, let's just begin thinking of Garrett as an animal. An animal who desperately needs some obedience training, because his current owner obviously doesn't know WHAT-THA-HELL she's doing.

And also? He's stepping it up, my friends - that is PERMANENT MARKER, stolen from my "hidden" stash in the kitchen.

The part of my deck that's not painted is now neatly labeled with my oldest children's names.


The play kitchen, which I obsessed over finding for Garrett and Laura's big Christmas gift this year, spent hours researching on the computer, and days searching for in every store in a fifty mile radius. This one hurts the worst, because when I was five, I would have DIED FOR THIS LITTLE KITCHEN:


A large "NO" at the top of the deck stairs:

Why does each step have "NO NO" written on it? Your guess is as good as mine - what I would not give to get inside Garrett's brain. I'm guessing it's like the devil / angel on your shoulder - his brain, the little devil, says "Do it - DO IT!!! WRITE ON THE STEPS IN THAT PERMANENT MARKER", while his hand, the moral compass, can only get out "NO! NO!".
The names of the entire four year old preschool class of 2008, permanently recorded onto our slide:

I think there were a few more thing that I forgot to photograph -it was just a permanent marker frenzy. A marker orgy, if you will. I must go refill my medication now.

Up next? Documentation of Garrett's freakish list making and organizing habits - now WHERE would he get THAT?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, hey, he has excellent penmanship! :)

Laura's pillow made me laugh.

Boys.

SJINCO said...

Maybe he has an obsession for labeling things?

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least he can spell. Talk to you soon. Andrea

Laurie said...

He's writing! That's a great thing! Hey, have you thought about that chalkboard spray paint you see them use on DIY? Spray down a wall in the basement and let him GO. ;) Oh, and remove ALL markers from your home. Who needs them? Just bury them, deep, in the back yard until he's....50...or so.

Anonymous said...

I love that Garret's conscience is working against him! It makes me think of programs for younger kids at my work - they LOVE to include signs that say DO NOT TOUCH in all of their little drawings. I swear we say it like ONE time at the very beginning of a program and then they spend TONS of time looking at art and learning about it - but they remember DO NOT TOUCH. Crazy kids.

Anonymous said...

Garrett is going to do great things in this world and wants to leave his name for future generations to enjoy! I also think that you need to give him a place in the house to write and then paint over it when this stage has passed. No mom he will not be writing on the walls in his college dorm room at Harvard!

Carey

Dawn said...

Alright, so I guess I'll so easy on my son for (once again) emptying all of the soft soap from the dispenser and making a big soapy mess and pool of water on the bathroom floor. I'm counting my blessings, at least it was a clean mess.

Anonymous said...

.....maybe he likes to label things, like someone said above? maybe he'll grow out of it?

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I'm sorry, but that is just so funny. Your kids are adorable!

Nicole @ OrWhateverYouDo said...

Hey~ I just saw your comment from forever ago. I need to turn on email notifications! Yes, that was me singing, not the super high backup stuff, but the lead female stuff was me. :) Thanks for stopping in!! I love it every time you update...

kristi said...

We have laminate floors in the livingroom and TC drew a big huge circle on it one day. I almost crapped in my pants. Thank God for alcohol...it removed it.

Anonymous said...

Y'know, everytime I read your blog my lower lip ends up hanging down farther than my boobs.

I am so very terrified that in a few short years Michael will be Gerrit, should he ever figure out how to write.

Anonymous said...

Hang on a sec... he's FIVE and he can actually SPELL all those kids' names???!!!!

Genius!!

Kim said...

Oh my! I guess some sand paper might fix the deck, but I have no ideas for the kitchen. I know hairspray takes pen and marker out of clothes though! My 4 yr old once drew all over the bathroom walls and told me the reason was that they were "just all white!"

Anonymous said...

...come back...!!!!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I am speechless.

Anonymous said...

...hope you are okay... :)