Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sleeping off the sugar coma

You know, I don't normally post many of my cakes on this blog, but this week definitely calls for some special attention. Now that each and every one of this week's seventeen cakes (you saw one of them earlier this week) has left my house, I'm feeling much better than I did the last time I posted.

It is also possible that I'm feeling better because Garrett and Laura spent THREE DAYS AND NIGHTS with their grandparents last week, which is the longest anyone has ever kept them in their whole lives. And I'm only slightly ashamed to admit that there was a time or two that I totally forgot to miss them.

A break from them was just what the doctor ordered - I got a reprieve from the incessant whining, fighting, and servant work, and had time to spend alone with my baby and my husband, and of course, my lover - er, my CAKES.

That said, I will NEVER, EVER take on this many orders in one week again. Had my kids not been away, I could never have completed this many orders in one weekend. I am so torn on my cake "business". On one hand, I thoroughly enjoy the process of creating a cake - I really believe I've found my passion. When I quit teaching, I was sure there was no other job for me, and that teaching would always be what I went back to. Now I'm not so sure about that. AND, my little stay at home mom self made $600 this week.

On the other hand, I feel horribly guilty (I mean REALLY guilty - you can FEEL the guilt in the air around here) for spending so much time on something that takes me away from my children - I'm here, but I'm not really HERE, you know? I mean, I quit teaching to BE with my kids, and here I am, finding just one more thing to distract me.

Back on Mother's Day, Garrett's preschool teacher interviewed each child about his or her mother. Every answer on Garrett's interview sheet? Had something to do with cakes:

What does your mom do better than your dad? Decorates cakes.

What is your mom's job? Making cakes.

My mom is prettier than: A cake.

It was cute, but it also made me think that maybe I'm spending a little too much time with The Cakes.

I also know myself though - if it wasn't cakes, it'd be scrapbooking. Or reading. Or organizing my closets. I've always had a hard time devoting my WHOLE day to child care / entertainment. And maybe that makes me really selfish. Or is it just normal? I really don't know, but I spend an enormous portion of my time feeling crazy guilty about it.

Anyway, on with the cakes. Just looking at these all together makes me need a few shots of tequila.

1. - 4. Four dozen cupcakes for a Fiesta-themed wedding shower (margaritas, maracas, chili peppers, and cactus) - each dozen was a different specialty flavor / specialty icing combination:
5. Baseball team's end-of-season party:


6. and 7. Baseball diamond and baseball "smash cake" for a baby boy's 1st birthday:


8. and 9. Castle and "smash" cake for a baby girl's first birthday:
10. A 13th birthday cake:
11: Hawaiian shirt:
12. A cake for a 60 year old daschund lover:13. Baby shower cake for a very chi-chi baby shower at a French restaurant (I forgot to take a picture of the cake, but it looked just like this old one):
14. Wedding cake for a very small reception:15. Sheet cake for another wedding:
16. Three tier square wedding cake:
Now, for more cake fun, go visit this site - reader Katie sent me the link last week and it is HYSTERICAL.

15 comments:

Lost A Sock said...

Those cakes are too cool. I love the baby baseball ones the best.

So glad to hear you got a break. And as far as spending all of your days with your kids? I think we'd all go crazy if we devoted all of our days to our kids, and they probably would too. I'm forever finidng projects to take on around here - even while "bed resting" I'm still printing and filling photo albums and anything else I can think of to occupy my brain while I sit.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I am always amazed at your cakes. Always.

Everyone needs a break and needs to do something for themselves. There is nothing wrong with not devoting your entire day to your children.

Anonymous said...

Your cakes are amazing!! You should be incredibly proud of your work.

It is totally normal to NOT devote the entire day to your child(ren). My kid is very independent when it comes to playing and, I think, it's a result of me NOT always being in her face and always playing with her. Daddy is the play parent--he'll get on the floor and play for hours with her. I'm the one that she helps clean and throw things away and does errands with. I DO play with her, but on a different level than he does. I'm just not wired that way. There's nothing wrong with it.

Glad you got a break from two of the kids--maybe that'll become something that can happen once a month or every other month. It'll do wonders for you :)

Anonymous said...

I think we'd all admit that entertaining the kids 24-7 is not doable. I would go crazy within the first 24 hours (which is why I went back to teaching after trying the SAHM thing for a year). If you are feeling so guilty that it's consuming you, figure out how many cakes per week would be manageable and stick with that until the kids are in school. Maybe that will give you the balance you're looking for. But, definitely keep decorating because girl, you have a serious talent there!!!

Patiently waiting said...

Wow, I am amazed! I love the "old wiener" cake!!! I agree with the other commenters that no one plays with their children 24-7 it's just not feasible. You have to have some time for yourself otherwise it's just not healthy.

Erica said...

Uuuuuummmmmm....I believe we have had this conversation many times. You also know my feelings on this. The cakes are awesome. I can't believe you made that many in a week. Gah! Now you need to drive yourself up here, bring some of that cake money, and we can go to the spa. We, I mean you, deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Awesome cakes! The "weiner" one is sooo funny! :)

Anonymous said...

Your cakes are completely amazing - and I bet Garrett is just really proud of how great you are at it! On the topic of child interviews - a friend of mine has a 4 year old that was asked for mother's day what her favorite thing about mommy was. She said, "Daddy." Hysterical! So, in comparison, Garrett's interview about you is glowing!

And, I'm sure you totally haven't received enough unsolicited advice lately, so I was thinking...maybe since your cakes are in such high demand, you could charge more, make fewer, and still make the same amount of cash! That's how the market works right? It's all about demand!

kristi said...

Beautimous!! U are so talented!

Anonymous said...

Garrett and Laura are old enough that they don't need 24-hour-a-day attention from you, so I think it's great that you found something you love. Plus, the money helps your family. Don't downplay that!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I LOVE the 13th-birthday cake!

Kim said...

Wow amazing cakes! Please visit my blog, I have something for you...

Emma in Canada said...

Good God your talent amazes me.

I couldn't devote all day everyday to my kids...I would lose my freaking mind. Like Kellie I am not a "player" who gets down on the ground. That's Daddy's job. I am the one who reads, who has them help with the laundry, who tries to keep some level of sanity...

SJINCO said...

You are super talented! I love your cakes, as always.

And don't feel guilty about your new found love....you deserve to do something you love and enjoy!

Everyday Superhero said...

I totally agree.... it's been far too long. Although, I must say, I have been keeping up with you! Just too lazy to comment.

Your cakes are beautiful. I can bake. I can cook. But nothing I have ever made has been as aesthetically pleasing as your cakes. Holy Hell girl!

Congrats on a job well done.